Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Trees and Trimmings

With all of the S.T.U.F.F filling up our calendar, I was having a hard time getting into the Christmas groove this year.  Carols the day before Halloween?!  Commercialized "encouragement" like this honestly makes me feel a little rebellious -- let me celebrate my HOLY day my way. Needless to say, I even used the words "bah" and "humbug" on a status update.  My kids were getting a little nervous that we might skip it altogether (which never would have happened)...They were even doing homework upside-down.
 Chrissee finally approached me and said, "Mom, is it okay if we bring out the Christmas decorations as an activity for family home evening?  It'll go great with my lesson."  I looked at the calendar and decided that December 12th is the perfect day to set up the tree and said, "Yes!"  Of course, that meant some rearranging of furniture and such, but it's a good thing to literally make way for a celebration.  It emphasizes the importance.
Our "fake" tree has been a true gift.  Thanks Christmas Angels 2004!

Samuel thinks we're bringing out new toys.  We'll have to nip that in the bud.

Passing out ornaments

Hanging up the Christmas cards

Making faces at the cameraman

This tradition came from my mom.  She used tape.  I punch a hole in every card received and thread it with twine.  So, when you think the price of the stamp is wasted...know that we keep these memories forever.

Our Nutcracker king.  We actually only have two stocking holders and are working on collecting more.

The Nativity from Mexico.

Mmm...molasses cookies

This angel was originally on my mom's tree.  I'm not sure how I got it, but it still smells like pine.

Chrissee and I made these, it's quilted styrofoam.

Shatter proof ornaments. BRILLIANT!!

Baby Jesus sleeps under our tree all season.  It's fun to watch the youngest ones take care of him.
I am so thankful the bah-humbugs don't apply to how I feel about my family or my Savior.  However you celebrate your holy days, keep your hearts full of love and light.

 HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! My mom totally has that same pine scented angel ornament. I KNEW we were sisters! :o)

    ReplyDelete