Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Nutcracker

Once upon a time, I was in elementary school and we lived in California.  I don't know what the schools are like there now, but, back then we had the best field trips...everything from whale watching to the Planetarium to the ballet... The Nutcracker Ballet.  These memories are some of my favorites.  They were also some of the experiences that shaped me.  Between the ballet (which I never studied from a teacher) and choir, my posture is "practically perfect".  Since having daughters of my own, there were experiences I had that I wanted to share with them.  Seeing The Nutcracker Ballet live was one of them.  I can say "was" now because I shared this wish with one of my closest friends and she granted it.  Just like a miracle genie!  It's been a little while since I cried at a birthday gift, but there it was...tickets to see the ballet here in our own town. 

I was so excited that I marked it on the calendar and told the girls to clear their own for that night.  I didn't even join my sisters on Temple Square when they came from out of state because we already had plans. 

That night, it was freezing, but I asked them to get all dressed up for the surprise. Then, the nerves set in.  There was a little bit of complaining about the cold and the skirts and some "where are we going?"  What if they didn't like it as much as I did?  What if it wasn't as magical or memorable for them?

Then, we got there. 

After the ballet

Rachel & Rebecca

Beth, Daelynn, and Chrissee...very Bohemian.
In the end, I'm not sure it was as magical.  Beth wondered why the Sugar Plum Fairy and her prince had such a tumultuous relationship - together, single, together again at last.  I guess we've seen a bit of divorce around here.  But, everyone was all smiles.  I love these girls.  I love watching them grow up.  It is the best dance of my life, and I am on the stage.

1 comment: