Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shopping for Cars with Boys

A month ago, the transmission went out in our 2001 Dodge Caravan. It was the second time in 2 years it had  done so.  The previous repair cost us $2500 and the air conditioning.  Yuck.  This time around it was the brakes, then the radiator that was actually the thermostat and >>KABLOOEY<< down with the transmission.

Now, you should know that I am NOT big on debt.  I am working full-time and had to put two little ones in day care to do so.  It isn't for personal fulfillment or because I like my job.  It is because our family has grown up through 2 college degrees and suffered several hits in the employment department since graduation.   I believe in living within ones means.

So, my first solution?  I'll just walk everywhere.  No big deal.  We were already mostly walking everywhere.  But, with temperatures dipping into single digits and James working so far away that I had to ask for a ride to the urgent clinic with a sick boy (among other things), I finally agreed that all of the time James was spending in researching a car was not wasted.

Monday, he mapped out the few he felt were worth our time to see (and within our budget).  He and I drove from Ogden to Orem testing driving, talking to salesmen and walking away.  Our last stop was in Kaysville.  James had been working with this dealership for a few weeks already.  He had test driven the car and asked about certain repairs being made (which had been).  I drove around a bit in it and then, the haggling began.  I'm a fantastic walker.  I will just stick my hand out, say thank you and walk out the door.  It's all very polite and assertive.  IF the price isn't right and the salesman isn't willing to bend, the honest thing to do is walk away.  If I could see that James was torn or that he was pushing the edges, I would walk.  I knew that he was trying to make it happen.  He's been concerned about my not having a car, but I didn't want him to push the budget beyond capacity (debt is a gift to no one).

By 8 p.m. last night, we were driving home in separate cars again.  The vehicle is a 2005 Pontiac Montana -- the engine sounds strong and feels certain...and there is a headlight out in the Dodge Neon.

1 comment: