Yesterday, I whipped up what turned out to be a long forgotten, but very welcomed treat -- Snowcream!
When the girls were very little, ice cream was a very special treat saved for the rare birthday celebration. There were five of us way back then -- one birthday in March, two in June and two in November. So, we had ice cream in the house three times each year. And when we had it, we HAD it! I would let the girls have ice cream with their cake, for breakfast, lunch and snacktime until it was all gone.
But, then, life changed a little. I got a new last name and James entered the scene. James grew up in a household where ice cream was a rare treat for the children (but it was always in the freezer and the parents could eat it EVERY night!) Being a grown up (and a new parent), he liked to make sure there was ice cream in the freezer always. Sadly, I had never kept that sort of leash on the food. This has translated into a very LARGE ice cream budget and a lack of winter-time magic.
Thankfully, this year, James recognized what was happening to his income and the ice cream. He stopped adding it to the freezer way back around Thanksgiving time. (Hooray!!) I'm sure the girls have wondered how on Earth they would get along without it, and yet, somehow, we have all survived.
After our three day visit with Gandalf the White (what a storm!!), I pulled down a metal mixing bowl of just the right size and headed into the frigid cold to gather enough sparkling snowflakes to create a little magic in the kitchen. The recipe for Snowcream can be found on my recipe blog The Simple Wooden Spoon. Try it while the snow is still fresh!
Everyone loved it -- of course! I am so glad I thought to revive this family tradition. None of the older girls remembered it and they were completely awed and delighted by the simplicity & deliciousness of the recipe and, well, the ingenuity of their Amme.
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am always awed by your ingenuity.
ReplyDelete