Monday, May 2, 2011

Tender Moments

Gabriella - 3 days old
This morning, Gabriella pulled the dress you see her wearing here out of her drawer and asked who she should give this to.  She started naming babies she knows from our neighborhood and cousins who she imagined small enough.

 I said, "Gabriella, this dress is yours."

"But, Amme, I can't fit this!"

"I know, honey.  But we're saving it because one day, you'll be all grown up and you might decide to get married and be a mommie...and you might have a little girl baby of your own who can wear your dress."

What happened next, I hardly expected.  Her eyes went from surprised, to uncertain, to full of awe.  Her chin began to quiver and she threw her arms around my neck and cried, "Oh Amme!  Really?" 

"Yes, really, my love.  You will not always be small."  I held her and stroked her hair remembering what it was like when I could hold all of her on one arm and we both shed a few happy tears.

2 comments: