Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A day for mother

When I wanted to be a mom just like my own,
holding my sister Lisa.
Not very far into my life, I decided I would never be the mother of children.  I think it had something to do with the fact that the neighborhood babies always cried whenever they were passed to me.  I was certain this must not actually be my calling.

Then, I became a mom.

On Mother's Day last year, my own mom was living with us.  I distinctly remember making dinner for her content in the fact that this was my gift and trying hard not to notice that even the father of at least some of my children was ignoring the day. 

This year, I posted a blog listing my top ten reasons for HATING (strong word, I know) this day set aside by Congress.  But, I thought I should take the time to point out that I love being a mother.  While the day itself is completely absurd, the occupation is tremendous.  It is the most challenging thing I believe I will ever do.  Not all mothers are the same, nor do they feel the same way about it.  However, I am extremely thankful for each of my not-so-little ones and the stretching required of me in the attempt to do it well.

Also, I am very thankful for my own mother, who played both mother and father roles as well as she was able.  We were truly awful to her at times.  It's no wonder she grayed so soon.

Now, could we get rid of the day on the calendar please?!  If I have to spend one more year answering "How was your Mother's Day?"  I will scream.  No kidding.  I spent the whole day making sure everyone else survived (as usual) and had the bonus of my current hubby (who was SO good at gratitude until after I gave birth to his son) saying that I have it EASY at home.  Really, darling? Well then, let me lounge around eating bon bons and such instead of cleaning, cooking, nurturing, mowing the lawn, mending clothes, grocery shopping, etc...all while passing a KIDNEY STONE.

2 comments:

  1. I'll probably delete the last paragraph in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. You are without a doubt the best friend and best mother I know. And I am SO grateful for you every day. I kind of wish there was a best friend day, except I don't want it commercialized or to have Congress dictate to me how to show my gratitude for you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete