At almost four years old, you're bound to get words mixed up sometimes. I mean, how many words are there in the English language? Especially in a house full of teenaged sisters, a science teacher dad, and a literary mom. Usually, Samuel just mixes things up like saying, "Show me!" when he means, "I'll show you!" This is typical, I've found a roly-poly and you've just GOT to see it language.
Today, at the lunch table, Samuel burped and said, "I farted."
I tried to explain it to him. Really. It's bad enough that I hate the word "fart." In my house growing up, we weren't even allowed to use that word. We had to use the word "fluffer." But, since learning this word has pornographic connotations (don't even think about what it could mean -- I don't want to know!) I've opted for the words "toot," "flatulence," or just plain "passing gas." My husband, on the other hand, uses this one. Gabriella once told me that all of my other optional terminology was "just ridiculous, Amme." I can't tell you what it's like to have a barely five year old tell you your words are ridiculous. I had to choke between laughter and pushing my point.
So, here's Samuel, farting out of his mouth. What is the world coming to?
| Samuel playing "guess which hand" in his new Monster Truck shirt from Granmere |
Today, at the lunch table, Samuel burped and said, "I farted."
I tried to explain it to him. Really. It's bad enough that I hate the word "fart." In my house growing up, we weren't even allowed to use that word. We had to use the word "fluffer." But, since learning this word has pornographic connotations (don't even think about what it could mean -- I don't want to know!) I've opted for the words "toot," "flatulence," or just plain "passing gas." My husband, on the other hand, uses this one. Gabriella once told me that all of my other optional terminology was "just ridiculous, Amme." I can't tell you what it's like to have a barely five year old tell you your words are ridiculous. I had to choke between laughter and pushing my point.
So, here's Samuel, farting out of his mouth. What is the world coming to?
No comments:
Post a Comment