Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Once Upon a Mattress

Who knew a high school musical could be a conglomeration of high, middle, and out of district participants just trying to squeeze a good Zach Ephron impression out of at least one of the 35 girls showing up to practise?  Who knew that young man would be our very own Chrissee?

Me.  I knew.  Of course, I knew.  Because Chrissee is, generally speaking, awesome. 

You should know she wasn't allowed to participate for two reasons:
     a) the play was 15 minutes (driving distance) across town and we only had one car
     b) she'd already picked Marching Band as her one extra-curricular activity for the school year.

Are you wondering what she did to get around these limitations?  First, marching band season was over by the time the play had been cancelled and reinstated at least four times.  So, in a way, this was going to be her ONLY extra-curricular activity for the months of practise.  Second, she found a carpool.  And, when that didn't work out, I found one.  And when that didn't work out, I weaseled a ride out of my best friend across the street. 

Fast forward two months:

Last night was the final show.  Chrissee played Knight #5.  Her body bound up in an ace bandage, a layer of make-up like a five o'clock shadow on her chin.  I knew from the proportion of actresses on the stage that there was a reason she went Dude for this one.  Seriously, how many princesses can you fit on one stage?  The songs and dances began and then...so did Samuel's tantrum.  Usually, the littlest ones of our clan are completely enthralled by a good musical.  Two hours are NOThING to a three year old when there is live action involved.  Until someone hands them a sucker dipped in sugar on the drive across town and the sugar rush ends in a horrific crash.

I missed it.  So, I can't tell you how fantastic it all was.  I can tell you that most of Chrissee's acquaintances didn't recognize her, even though she had a speaking part, and told people she was playing a man. 

1 comment:

  1. No weaseling required (maybe an occasional bribe of pie or banana nut bread). :o)

    ReplyDelete