Saturday, August 30, 2014

DANGER: Tetherball

Years ago, we took an old tire, some QuickCrete cement, and a Tetherball kit and added a tetherball "court" to our backyard. By years, I'm talking at least eight. In that time, there have been plenty of jammed fingers and tetherballs to the head -- all completely expected and not so bad as far as bumps and bruises go when categorized as "growing pains"...little did I know...you can check out the types and frequency of injuries in 2006 here. We've loved having a tetherball in the yard so much that I've replaced the ball & rope several times as sun damage and wear took their toll.


That said, yesterday, Gabriella was nearly strangled to death by the tetherball rope. She and Samuel were playing together as they often do when their friend came to the back gate to ask if he could play. Gabriella heard him and turned away from the game. Her intention was to run to her friend and invite him to join them. What happened next makes my heart stop to think about.


Samuel had already released the ball from his hand. The serve swung out wide and powerful, wrapping the rope around Gabrie's neck several times, stopping her in her tracks, and nearly hanging her. I will thank heaven every day that Chrissee happened to be in her room studying with her window open. Samuel immediately start screaming in such a terrifying way that Chrissee ran down the stairs to the back yard. Gabriella stepped back enough that there was some slack on the rope so she did not break her neck, injure her windpipe, or lose consciousness. She couldn't get the ball off of her and was screaming with Samuel by the time Chrissee got to her.


I don't even want to upload a picture. The rope burn is from ear to ear, several inches wide on her throat and deep enough that it caused bleeding. 


I'm posting this as a reminder that you talk about the rules of the games and playground equipment in your own backyard. Be sure to do this with each child and several times as they grow. Sometimes, we repeat ourselves so often we believe we've said it already. Say it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment