Okay, not really. But...dramatic titles and all, right?
Tonight, Daelynn asked me for her first driving lesson. She's had her permit for about a month now, but volleyball schedules, house hunting, homework and what-not have really cramped our student driver style.
(Actually, the "traditional" aka "this is how we did it with your older sisters" way, has been for them to NOT drive the family cars until *after* they've completed Driver's Ed. This was mostly to inspire them to get a job to pay for their own permit, driver's ed course, and -- duh, duh, duuuhhh!! -- insurance.)
So, there I was, alone in the family van with my almost 16 year old child asking for a lesson. Of course I said yes! She demonstrated the healthy level of absolutely terrified and hanging on my every word. I was calm, cool, collected... and, basically... a PRO at the Driving Instructor hat I've donned a few times now.
About 5 minutes in to our 15 minute drive home, she said in her I'm-so-nervous-trying-to-be-calm-isn't-this-fun-we're-all-gonna-die-voice, "Are you nervous? I'm nervous. Are you scared? Cuz, I feel like we're gonna die." To which, I replied, "I'm not nervous. This is a 25 mile per hour road, you're only driving 20...pay attention to the yellow line...we're going to make a left turn at the light ahead so you'll want to put on your blinker, slow down, stop at the stop line...ease up a bit closer to the cross walk. Okay. Well done. Do you see where the car is and where the crosswalks are? Good. Get to know that because the hood of the car won't let you see the actual line. Now, do you see the yellow lines on the other side of the intersection?..."
...and so on... It was awesome. She did really well. I'm glad I said yes.
Tonight, Daelynn asked me for her first driving lesson. She's had her permit for about a month now, but volleyball schedules, house hunting, homework and what-not have really cramped our student driver style.
(Actually, the "traditional" aka "this is how we did it with your older sisters" way, has been for them to NOT drive the family cars until *after* they've completed Driver's Ed. This was mostly to inspire them to get a job to pay for their own permit, driver's ed course, and -- duh, duh, duuuhhh!! -- insurance.)
So, there I was, alone in the family van with my almost 16 year old child asking for a lesson. Of course I said yes! She demonstrated the healthy level of absolutely terrified and hanging on my every word. I was calm, cool, collected... and, basically... a PRO at the Driving Instructor hat I've donned a few times now.
About 5 minutes in to our 15 minute drive home, she said in her I'm-so-nervous-trying-to-be-calm-isn't-this-fun-we're-all-gonna-die-voice, "Are you nervous? I'm nervous. Are you scared? Cuz, I feel like we're gonna die." To which, I replied, "I'm not nervous. This is a 25 mile per hour road, you're only driving 20...pay attention to the yellow line...we're going to make a left turn at the light ahead so you'll want to put on your blinker, slow down, stop at the stop line...ease up a bit closer to the cross walk. Okay. Well done. Do you see where the car is and where the crosswalks are? Good. Get to know that because the hood of the car won't let you see the actual line. Now, do you see the yellow lines on the other side of the intersection?..."
...and so on... It was awesome. She did really well. I'm glad I said yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment