Saturday, August 16, 2014

Used Houses and Used Cars

For some people, previously owned is a bad name. They like the new car smells as much as the smell of fresh paint and carpet right off the roll. For us, another man's "junk" has often become a family "treasure" and we spent the past couple of weeks prepping ours for an open house hoping to sell it. One of my rules is "if you don't use it in a year -- throw it out!!" But, I quickly learned that I haven't been sticking to my own rules for simplifying the household organization since I've been working full time. Yikes!! The trips to the thrift store to donate gently used items quickly turned into "daily freebie" give-aways on Facebook which became "just throw it out!"


(Seriously, friends, there is only so much energy in a single body.)


Yesterday, we had an open house. Hopefully, the realtor took pictures while the place was clean because it was desperately touch and go. In fact, Samuel & Gabriella took advantage of a little unsupervised time while Adda and Daelynn slept (Chrissee & I were at work and Bethany was borrowing a friend's washer & dryer) to do a little soap & chalk carving on the freshly mopped hardwood floors in the front room the morning of the open house. Bonus for everyone, I had left the broom and dust pan next to the washing machine in my exhaustion the night before so no one could find it to get the mess swept up. They had to use towels instead!


Well, there's no point in what iffing that one to death. What's done is done. On to the next level.


Now that Chrissee is back from Europe and her funds can go toward something other than world travel, she's decided to get Marty up and running again. (Remember her little white car?) James had taken the time while she was gone to test the battery, check the radiator, etc. Things seemed to be in working order so she paid for the temporary registration this week and asked if I'd join her to go and get the emissions & inspections done since we'd only be about an hour... little did I know.


James helped us jump start the car to get us on our way and we confidently set out the long way thinking we'd recharge the battery a bit before Jiffy Lube. JL closed an hour before we arrived and we needed gasoline, so we stopped at the station across the street. After pumping the gas, the car wouldn't start again. Chrissee asked the gentleman next to us if he could help out and another gentleman asked if we needed help. It didn't take long and we were on our way again. Chrissee decided to drive up the canyon to fully charge the battery. I didn't mind because it would only have us gone a bit longer than originally planned and love spending one on one time with my kids when we can.


It was a beautiful day for a drive. I took some fun pictures of Pineview Reservoir and the surrounding farmland and hear about Chrissee's latest writing projects. I loved every minute, but I was also beginning to feel dehydrated. So, on the way back down the mountain after driving for an hour, we stopped at the grocery store on 12th street to buy a Gatorade and some gluten-free foods we can't find near our house. We never expected to get into the hot car and find that it wouldn't start again. This time was the worst because we were parked in between cars and it was hard to get close enough to another battery of the owner who said they would help first. Soon we had three different people -- the first gentleman, whose car battery was too far away, the second gentleman, who had longer jumper cables, and the third gentleman, who forerunner was parked directly in front of us and had enough power in his battery to do the jumping. It was all rather comical and completely endearing at the same time. People are generally good in the world and willing to help when they are needed.


And that, my friends, is the best treasure of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment