Spring Break for our school district is more than slightly lame. It's a 5 day weekend. Of course, with our brand new (8 mth) hourly employee / temporary contracted employee status, James and I can't really take a vacation anyways. Our employment will be the same thing keeping us from long family vacations this year. So, we decided to do the next best thing and buy season passports to Lagoon for our whole family. It's a little bit pricey when you look at the single receipt, but we plan on using that baby in to the ground (beginning the Saturday of Spring Break.) I don't know what it was really, but my Sunday night, I felt such a longing for my family (who I'd been with the whole weekend) that I decided to stay home from work on Monday. You could say I called in "heart sick" and in need of a Mommie day.
Best idea ever!
I sent James off to work in the morning and then had a fantastic day with my kids. We cleaned a little. Dug out a little. And hiked a little mountain.
Of course, hiking with me is *always* an adventure (as some of you might be aware.) It turns out the city had gotten busy over the winter and built a huge "underground" cistern above ground where our hiking path used to be. Not to worry, there was a path going around and we did. This path took us to the Bonneville Trail where we walking in such close proximity to the golf course that we could have thrown off someone's swing -- or been hit by a golf ball! (Samuel found some balls on the trail.) Since it was our first hike of the season, I kept it short and timed our way in, then turned us on to the loop to head back toward the car. On our way, we found this old rusted out car (we don't know if the bullet holes got there before or *after* it crashed.) Also, Bethany heard some hikers on the trail below us and, in her spookiest voice said, "This is your conscience speaking...don't do drugs!" And ran away giggling. I'm sure they looked up through the trees and thought it was me.
All in all, I'm really thankful I listened to my conscience speaking, "You're heart sick and you need a Mommie Day." Sometimes, you just need an hour and an adventure to set the world spinning in the right direction again.



No comments:
Post a Comment