My own mom was a working mom. She was single raising five children without any backup (financial, emotional, or otherwise) and it showed. I think we all turned out to be decent people. We all work hard, pushing to finish tasks we have in front of us. Each of us also faced many bumps in the road that must have been awfully painful as we are all choosing not to pass these on to our own kids. My sisters and I have all insisted on being stay-at-home moms. My brother that has a son INSISTS on being in his life even when his ex refused to put his name on the birth certificate. Let's just say that we know the price of a parent not being there is higher than the world likes to think.
So...this week, I took a temp job with a law firm.
For some reason, job = congratulations when the family is unemployed (duh, I know). And, people think working in law firm is all sorts of glamorous and exciting. (Thank you to the TV networks evening line up.)
Here are some things you might not know about working:
a) Sitting in a chair all day HURTS just as much as standing all day -- it just burns fewer calories.
b) Yoga is a survival tool.
c) Non-fiction books on tape are more engaging than their genre hints at.
d) 5 minutes late walking out the door makes a huge difference in the amount of traffic you face.
e) Not having any of the clocks in your life synchronized is stressful.
f) If you are excellent at your temp job, they will offer you full time.
Here are some things you might not know about the family at home:
a) If your husband doesn't know where things are when you are home with him, he will not be able to find them while you are gone. (This includes what's for dinner.)
b) Children will do what they want while you are gone.
c) Men actually have as many words as women do and will save them up for when you get home.
d) One persons version of what happened while you were out does NOT give you the actual picture no matter how honest this person is.
e) The song is not "I'm so glad when Mommie comes home..."
f) No one is going to go to physical therapy without you.
The best thing about this week is...all right, I haven't found anything fantastic about this week yet. I've cried myself to sleep almost every night. I cried my way home yesterday. And, I'm getting teary again right now. I promise that I know how to fake it for work and be absolutely present for the kids. Every experience is a learning opportunity...I'm just hoping I'm the only one experiencing growing pains from this necessary decision.
So...this week, I took a temp job with a law firm.
For some reason, job = congratulations when the family is unemployed (duh, I know). And, people think working in law firm is all sorts of glamorous and exciting. (Thank you to the TV networks evening line up.)
Here are some things you might not know about working:
a) Sitting in a chair all day HURTS just as much as standing all day -- it just burns fewer calories.
b) Yoga is a survival tool.
c) Non-fiction books on tape are more engaging than their genre hints at.
d) 5 minutes late walking out the door makes a huge difference in the amount of traffic you face.
e) Not having any of the clocks in your life synchronized is stressful.
f) If you are excellent at your temp job, they will offer you full time.
Here are some things you might not know about the family at home:
a) If your husband doesn't know where things are when you are home with him, he will not be able to find them while you are gone. (This includes what's for dinner.)
b) Children will do what they want while you are gone.
c) Men actually have as many words as women do and will save them up for when you get home.
d) One persons version of what happened while you were out does NOT give you the actual picture no matter how honest this person is.
e) The song is not "I'm so glad when Mommie comes home..."
f) No one is going to go to physical therapy without you.
The best thing about this week is...all right, I haven't found anything fantastic about this week yet. I've cried myself to sleep almost every night. I cried my way home yesterday. And, I'm getting teary again right now. I promise that I know how to fake it for work and be absolutely present for the kids. Every experience is a learning opportunity...I'm just hoping I'm the only one experiencing growing pains from this necessary decision.
*HUGS* LOVE YOU BABE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete