In a house where the youngest daughter regularly plans birthday parties with pink-hearted-love themes, one might assume that we have the biggest Valentine's Day blow outs on the freakin' planet. But, we don't.
The J-man used to be a spontaneously romantic sort of dude. He'd pop in with flowers unexpectedly... or a book I'd mentioned wanting to read... or a movie I wanted to see. There was sparkling cider and just the two of us snuggled under a blanket sipping from our wedding flutes.
Add 2 kids, stuttering kidneys and 8 long years and well, I guess we're past our warranty!
Not really.
Actually, we've decided to gift each other financial freedom by getting out of debt. Besides, I was never really one for economically fixed holidays. You all know just how I feel about Mother's Day. Heck -- I'm thinking this year I'll throw the Christmas tree up in August, just because! However, there is a distinction between not wanting to be surprised with a little romance or gifts because the calendar says so and not wanting to receive that sort of attention at all. I guess it'll have to wait for the bank account to be in the black again.
Oh well.
Tomorrow...no, no. It's TODAY (welcome to 2:20 a.m.). Today, I will be surprising the children of the house who have spent all week meticulously creating gifts, cards and treats for their friends. I'd hate for them to believe for a single second that I don't think they are amazing or that I am not the luckiest lady in the world to be surrounded by so many sweet valentines.
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are truly blessed to have such great kids.
ReplyDelete