This year, there was nothing particularly spooky about Halloween. (We don't really *do* spooky.) It was tremendously out of whack however, and I'll tell you why:
a) no one had a costume plan until a couple of weeks before
b) samuel willingly wore a costume -- more than once even
c) we had too many pumpkins to carve
d) my porch light wasn't ON for trick-or-treaters
So, James grew out his hair and beard as fast as he could to fashion it back in to Wolverine. (He even came this > < close to buying the leather jacket from e-bay. *hint**hint*). Bethany began gathering twigs and leaves and birdlike eggs so she could portray Mother Nature in her full summer glory. I bought Sam a chicken for $4 at a local thrift store -- and that costume could FLY when he was wearing it! Gabriella decided that vampire teeth and butterfly wings go together. Chrissee and Nate became the identical twins to Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy (yes, I embroidered, crocheted and sewed for optimal magical realism). Daelynn pulled on her poodle skirt and dancing shoes. And me? Well, I put two costume ideas on the shelf and went with the easy version of Jean Gray to "match" my hubbie. I'm not telling what I have up my sleeve for next year, but OBVIOUSLY I will need to get a head start on it.
People at work don't dress up. If you think lawyers take themselves seriously, you should spend some time with an MBA. I was asked, multiple times, if I was there to give people flu shots that day. Really? I know my wigs are realistic, but come on! Have you seen all four inches on these brown leather boots riding on top of this skinny jean denim? What doctor dresses like that?!
When it came time for kids and things, there was just too much going on. Marching band got in the way. Then the dishes. Then a serious, stinky BAH-HUMBUG to the whole thing. Wolverine had to take the tiny vampires (butterfly & chicken) around the neighborhood. And me? Well, I just turned out the lights.
Monday, November 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment