Miss Gabriella Eowyn Samford was baptized by her favorite primary teacher last Saturday.
The reading goal: she and I read the Book of Mormon together every night since June. Sadly, we didn't quite get to the end. She was a bit perplexed by all of the war stories in it and her favorite part was when the Lamanite king and his family and all of his servants pass out for joy in learning that there is a God who loves them. All of that falling down "as if they were dead" made quite an impression.
The dress: Her white dress was a gift from Grandmere (James thought it looked a little bit "quincenera-ish" but she *loved* it.) I took her shopping around her birthday time to learn her tastes and her size. They ended up not being able to order in her size on time. So, we purchased one up and added elastic at the neckline (Aunt Lisa is brilliant!) Chrissee took her to pick it up and purchase pretty shoes, white tights, and white undies in preparation for the big day.
The luncheon: Aunt Lisa asked what Gabrie wanted to eat on her day. She said Chicken Enchiladas and Pumpkin Pie (of course!)
The guests: Richard & Kathy Ellis, Jordyn & Jess Reichard (with baby Annaleigh!), C.C., Steven & Zac Jackson, Bishop Hughes, Lisa, Dakota, Hunter, Liberty, & Jericho Dickson, John & Kohyn Virgo, Quinn & Drake Virgo, Grandmere, Marjorie Darcy, and the cute little couple in our ward responsible for filling the baptismal font. (Not to mention our own crew.)
The gifts:
Burch Creek Stake -- a small key as a token of remembrance
Dickson -- Hair bow, white towel
Jackson -- crocheted sparkle scarf
Ellis -- $10
Grandmere -- dress
Chrissee -- shoes, tights, undies
Amme & Adda -- "I am a Child of God" necklace
Everyone -- being there
Now that I took the notes of all the things I will probably forget...
Last year at this time, I didn't think Gabriella's baptism was going to happen. Not because she didn't want it, but because of some family struggles mixed with Adda's struggles. Eight years old is a big deal when you're my child. Eight years old is when a new mantle of maturity falls on your shoulders bringing responsibility, knowledge, and so much more. You see, in my head, there is always the option that my children will choose something different. It is one of my most difficult thing as a parent to teach them there are things they *must* do whether they like it or not, whether they want to or not. Baptism, even though I believe it to be a key for the afterlife, isn't one of those things. Each of them must decide for themselves.
So many elements of my life and who I am and my understanding of the world are different from a decade ago, when my oldest was 8 and making the same decision. This time, I held my breath a bit. Wondering. Being in the room with Gabriella in her long white dress, ready to make a promise to be like Jesus, to cry with others when they're sad, to be helpful, to do the right thing even when it's hard, to keep her body clean and pure, and watching her as she caught her own reflection in the mirror as if she were seeing an old friend she is dazzled by... my heart is so full just thinking about it.
The ordinance of baptism itself is super short. Really. If you blink, you'll miss it. She was surprised afterward that something *so* important would be *so* quick. I guess that's why a key is such a good analogy for it. All of the preparation goes in to the journey, to building the door, the house, to clearing the path, to struggling over the rocks, but without that key, all of the effort is meaningless.
I know God lives. I know Gabriella's choice is not in vain. I know her Savior, Jesus Christ, lives and loves her and will be there for every mis-step on her journey if she will turn to Him.
The reading goal: she and I read the Book of Mormon together every night since June. Sadly, we didn't quite get to the end. She was a bit perplexed by all of the war stories in it and her favorite part was when the Lamanite king and his family and all of his servants pass out for joy in learning that there is a God who loves them. All of that falling down "as if they were dead" made quite an impression.
The dress: Her white dress was a gift from Grandmere (James thought it looked a little bit "quincenera-ish" but she *loved* it.) I took her shopping around her birthday time to learn her tastes and her size. They ended up not being able to order in her size on time. So, we purchased one up and added elastic at the neckline (Aunt Lisa is brilliant!) Chrissee took her to pick it up and purchase pretty shoes, white tights, and white undies in preparation for the big day.
The luncheon: Aunt Lisa asked what Gabrie wanted to eat on her day. She said Chicken Enchiladas and Pumpkin Pie (of course!)
The guests: Richard & Kathy Ellis, Jordyn & Jess Reichard (with baby Annaleigh!), C.C., Steven & Zac Jackson, Bishop Hughes, Lisa, Dakota, Hunter, Liberty, & Jericho Dickson, John & Kohyn Virgo, Quinn & Drake Virgo, Grandmere, Marjorie Darcy, and the cute little couple in our ward responsible for filling the baptismal font. (Not to mention our own crew.)
The gifts:
Burch Creek Stake -- a small key as a token of remembrance
Dickson -- Hair bow, white towel
Jackson -- crocheted sparkle scarf
Ellis -- $10
Grandmere -- dress
Chrissee -- shoes, tights, undies
Amme & Adda -- "I am a Child of God" necklace
Everyone -- being there
Now that I took the notes of all the things I will probably forget...
Last year at this time, I didn't think Gabriella's baptism was going to happen. Not because she didn't want it, but because of some family struggles mixed with Adda's struggles. Eight years old is a big deal when you're my child. Eight years old is when a new mantle of maturity falls on your shoulders bringing responsibility, knowledge, and so much more. You see, in my head, there is always the option that my children will choose something different. It is one of my most difficult thing as a parent to teach them there are things they *must* do whether they like it or not, whether they want to or not. Baptism, even though I believe it to be a key for the afterlife, isn't one of those things. Each of them must decide for themselves.
So many elements of my life and who I am and my understanding of the world are different from a decade ago, when my oldest was 8 and making the same decision. This time, I held my breath a bit. Wondering. Being in the room with Gabriella in her long white dress, ready to make a promise to be like Jesus, to cry with others when they're sad, to be helpful, to do the right thing even when it's hard, to keep her body clean and pure, and watching her as she caught her own reflection in the mirror as if she were seeing an old friend she is dazzled by... my heart is so full just thinking about it.
The ordinance of baptism itself is super short. Really. If you blink, you'll miss it. She was surprised afterward that something *so* important would be *so* quick. I guess that's why a key is such a good analogy for it. All of the preparation goes in to the journey, to building the door, the house, to clearing the path, to struggling over the rocks, but without that key, all of the effort is meaningless.
I know God lives. I know Gabriella's choice is not in vain. I know her Savior, Jesus Christ, lives and loves her and will be there for every mis-step on her journey if she will turn to Him.

Beautiful. (I *may* have been there too. But I did blend into the background that day.) :)
ReplyDelete