When a team has a game plan to work out and doesn't want the lip readers on the other side to know about it, they huddle up. You might have noticed (earlier posts and all) that our family has been less like a "team" than I wanted to experience EVER in the past six months. I decided to change that.
About a month ago, while I was tearfully praying in my car on the way to work again, I realized I was still trying to hold on to being in charge of things I could no longer even have an influence over. This wasn't really a surprise. When we're afraid of losing the things or people we care about, we naturally hold on more tightly. But, this is one of the times when nature seriously gets in the way of what we want. I finally decided to let go and let God.
To do that, I needed my family to know that this Team Captain, was handing the play book back to the Head Coach. I needed them to know that they were individually responsible for the way their performance in the Game would affect everyone else on our Team and that they had to learn to hear and head His whistle on their own.
How did I do this? I skipped the chalkboard lecture and went straight into the huddle.
Every morning now, before the family walks out the door, I call, "Huddle up!" And we pray together. Not everyone makes it every morning, but we pray anyways and it has made a HUGE difference in the way we feel and act toward one another. This past week, I came home to a clean and quiet house every evening. People played, laughed and worked together instead of all of the huffing, crying and slamming of doors.
It's fantastic, really.
About a month ago, while I was tearfully praying in my car on the way to work again, I realized I was still trying to hold on to being in charge of things I could no longer even have an influence over. This wasn't really a surprise. When we're afraid of losing the things or people we care about, we naturally hold on more tightly. But, this is one of the times when nature seriously gets in the way of what we want. I finally decided to let go and let God.
To do that, I needed my family to know that this Team Captain, was handing the play book back to the Head Coach. I needed them to know that they were individually responsible for the way their performance in the Game would affect everyone else on our Team and that they had to learn to hear and head His whistle on their own.
How did I do this? I skipped the chalkboard lecture and went straight into the huddle.
Every morning now, before the family walks out the door, I call, "Huddle up!" And we pray together. Not everyone makes it every morning, but we pray anyways and it has made a HUGE difference in the way we feel and act toward one another. This past week, I came home to a clean and quiet house every evening. People played, laughed and worked together instead of all of the huffing, crying and slamming of doors.
It's fantastic, really.
Did you know the huddle was created by the Deaf community? so they couldn't see each other signs?
ReplyDeleteI did NOT know that (or I might've mentioned it.) Pretty cool, really.
ReplyDelete