Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Prom

Has your spouse and/or signficant other ever been to Prom?  Go ask.  I'll bet it's never come up in a conversation because you and I both know it isn't one of those mandatory milestones we all need to grow into healthy, happy grown ups... or is it?  If you ask a teenager, they will answer -- YES!!  And they will have a list of very important reasons why it is worth every penny they beg, borrow, and steal to drop on it.  (Not to mention the tender tear drops and creative conundrums they create to pop the question.)

This year, my hubby was asked to chaperone a quickly shoved into place, post-graduation Prom.  Knowing how much I love to dance, of course he said yes.  What I didn't know, was that this was his very first Cinderino night.  That's right.  James had never been to Prom.  This was news to me, though not very important news.  The important news was that I am gorgeous... surprisingly so.  I know this now from all of the stunned gasps of, "You're Mr. Samford's wife?!  You're bea-u-ti-fuuul!" 

Full length Prom-wear
Apparently, you cannot be a high school Physics teacher of such nerdy, challenging proportions AND still attract HAWTness, such as my own. It's against the laws of...well...Physics...in the teenaged social justice system.
The Green Hornet & Super Swan Princess ready to save this Prom from lameness!
I'd like to thank the "Academy"...meaning my daughters for doing my hair and nails, my friend Aimee for loaning me my favorite gown ever and doing my smokin' makeup, and the Muse for giving me some crazy crochet talent that led to these new masks (sans pattern).

A couple of things you should keep in mind if your hubby asks you to Prom:
     1) It may be a masquerade.  Be prepared to get creative at the last minute even if it means crocheting non-stop for two days to get two masks and a small clutch ready to go.
     2) It may be a sit down at your table and stare at your glass party.  This calls for Superhero Action levels of Dancing Fun to the rescue.  Keep all your best tools in the arsenal with you.
     3) Cinderino may revert to a little teenaged-shyness.  Don't you worry.  He was married to you before today and you CAN snap him out of it.
    4)  Dinner may be at Subway.  Teens aren't the only ones living on a budget.  The bonus is, while you order extra pepperocinis on your footlong, you'll get to talk to that KUTV news anchor without letting on that you know it's him (cuz, if you mentioned it, you might accidentally mention how well that news desk hides his spare tire on TV.)

Three hours of crazy leg kickin', hip shakin', arm swirlin' fun (not to mention the Karate Chop Dance or the Ballroom Gone Badly) you will have had the time of your life and your hubby will finally get to say, "I went to Prom with the prettiest lady on the planet (or so my students tell me)."

3 comments:

  1. I know my husband went to prom. He took me twice in High School. I am glad you went and had fun! OF COURSE YOU ARE A SMOKIN' HOT BABE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was there ever a doubt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, the students doubted it. I am CERTAIN that I gave a little hope to every nerd boy in the room. ;)

    ReplyDelete