Friday, April 3, 2015

The Do Nothing Day

Today is the first day of Spring Break in our local public school district. It is pretty much just another long weekend to say we did, but perhaps more necessary than other long weekends we've had so far.

Sir Xavier and Miss Eowyn have declared it to be a "do nothing day". Of course, they are too young to remember that "Do Nothing Days" are "allowed by royal decree of their highnesses Amme and Adda once per quarter throughout the year and can include the missing of a school day without any physical sickness, but can only be taken once per quarter". I believe Human Resource departments would call them "mental health days"...Either way, the first half of the day was more than frustrating because they hadn't told me yet.

Sheesh.

I had plans.

I had hopes.

I had dreams.

There was going to be Rebalancing of Mutual Dwelling Spaces, Procurement of Accouterments Previously Loved, and, perhaps, a little Soil Manipulation Study and Sowing of Seeds. But, it was not to be.

Did I cave? Yeah, I did. They are young enough to still have many, many motivators that I control and old enough to decide just how helpful they are going to be. So, I finally asked them, after sending away scores of friends and turning down requests for treats, if they really just wanted a Do Nothing Day. They said YES!

They are downstairs, as we speak, making each other perfectly miserable in their very messy room. Doing more hooting and hollering than I've ever heard -- like caged animals in point of fact. I am not allowing outdoor play during this Do Nothing Day because they weren't honest about their needs up front.

Of course, I've done plenty elsewhere and am just about worn out with their very silly, very noisy, very Lego building version of doing nothing, but at least I'm not having to move the immoveable that needed silly, laughing, nothingness more than anything else today.

No comments:

Post a Comment